Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Life Changes

This country song by Thomas Rhett caught me off-guard tonight. It also reminded me that its been a “hot minute” since I posted to this blog. So, here is a portion of the lyrics in case you’re interested:

"Waking up in my college dorm, Yeah, my life, it was pretty normal. Looking for a date to the spring formal Wasn’t worried about nothing else, no. Majoring in undecided, Notebook full of bad songs I was writing. Never dreamed anyone else would like ‘em. Now they’re sitting on a Wal-mart shelf. Ain’t it funny how life changes. You wake up, ain’t nothing the same and life changes. You can’t stop it, just hop on the train and You never know what’s gonna happen. You make your plans and you hear God laughing. Life changes, and I wouldn’t change it for the world, oh no, And I wouldn’t change it for the world, oh no.”

The song continues on, its beautiful and you should take a moment to enjoy it. But, I just wanted to get through the chorus. The line “you make your plans and you hear God laughing” is where I’m at today. What a rollercoaster ride life is. I have to say that, although I REALLY didn’t like them, I wouldn’t trade my lows in life because they helped to shape who I am today. If you’ve been keeping up with our story, you’ll understand a bit better what I’m referring to. If you don’t know, go back to the 2015/2016 posts and everything will become clear.

The Bible talks constantly about change. It is a part of existence and is experienced by everyone. As my family and I continue to dive into the roles God has laid before us, we each find ourselves ever-evolving. Renewing my faith with the Nazarene church and finding purpose in my walk with God has just been the beginning. He continues to open doors and close them too. Sometimes I think I know exactly the plan God is setting before me and I run towards it with excitement and expectation, only to find that door closed and, as the song says “hear God laughing.” He knows the plans for me, for my family, my job, my church, our world and the best I can hope to be is a vessel of compassion and love.

For me, change and release of the plan is not in my nature. I am the planner, the preparer, the outline-holder (is that a thing?). I love plans, and organization, and following through. But this is not how God works. And so, when I’m confronted with change, I struggle. I struggle because it challenges my expectations, my routines, my comfort, and my world. I'm sure I've written on this before but it is a constant challenge in my life. However, I’m continuing to let go and let God lead and its getting easier. God is the shepherd, after all. I find solace in knowing that at least He will never change. Deuteronomy 31:8 says, “The Lord Himself will lead you and be with you. He will not fail you or abandon you, so do not lose courage or be afraid.” So here I am, Lord, on my knees again. I pray that You continue to see fit to use me as Your vessel. Fill me with Your spirit and make me an example of Your love. Guide me with a tender hand so that I may walk in Your ways and show others the beauty I see through Your victory. Praise be to You, now and forever. Amen.


No comments: